Suffering is an inevitable part of following Christ and a dynamic walk with God sustains us through it and testifies to the power of God at work in our lives.
We are also called to be His hands and feet to a hurting, broken world that suffers under the weight of sin and destruction. The Bible tells us that as we near the end of days, troubles increase in frequency and severity. As much as we may prefer to deny the existence of suffering for believers, Jesus told us that in the world we would experience trouble or tribulation. Jesus tells us we are blessed when we suffer persecution for His Name’s sake. So, whether God delivers us from trouble altogether, or strengthens us through it, or take us home on account of it, we can be sure that He uses our struggles for good and for His glory. As we are comforted, we are able to turn and comfort others. Understanding how to navigate these times can help us not only have peace even in the storms, but also guide others to Jesus who is Our Refuge and Strength, a very present Help in trouble.
I have told you these things, so that in Me you may have peace. In this world, you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.John 16:33
- Prayer & Suffering Discovery Bible Story Set
- La Oración y el Sufrimiento
- Prayer & Suffering Slide Set
- P&S Resource Bibliography
- “Why God Uses Problems” PPT by Liz Adleta
- “Cost of Discipleship” PPT by Liz Adleta
- “A Sheep Among Wolves” Nik Ripken YouTube Video
- “The Insanity of God” Book Trailer YouTube Nik Ripken
- The Gathering: Session Four